Lee Young Wan, Korea’s leading percussionist, organized, instructed, and promoted the first professional percussion ensemble in 1989, when percussion ensembles were scarce, and now leads the internationally recognized Karos Percussion Ensemble. He taught countless students with his unique teaching method, and many have become world-renowned musicians. With his deep interest and passion in creative music, he introduced Korean percussion music to the world and played a significant role in establishing Korea in the world through percussion music and participates in more than 100 active performances every year. While also producing more than 10 albums and planning and overseeing concerts, he is currently the KBS Symphony Orchestra’s principal timpanist and Karos Percussion Ensemble’s music director and conductor.
- Graduated from Sunwha Arts High School, Yonsei University College of Music, and University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna (MDW) Solistenexamen
- KBS New Artist Music Competition Award Winner
- Celebration of Mozart’s 250th Birthday in Austria International Music Festival Marimba Soloist
- Klangsommer in JAPAN International Music Festival Marimba Soloist
- Performed with German Wuppertal Philharmonic Orchestra, KBS Symphony Orchestra, Jeongju Symphony Orchestra, Gunsan Philharmonic Orchestra, City of Mokpo Symphony Orchestra, City of Pohang Symphony Orchestra, and Gyeongbuk Philharmonic Orchestra
- Released CD of KBS Musicians Opening the Century Marimba Solo
- Current Karos Percussion Ensemble CEO/Concertmaster; Ewha Womans University Adjunct Professor; The University of Suwon Guest Professor; and Yewon, Seoul Arts High School, Deokwon Arts High School Lecturer